Thursday 24 May 2018

Kumbalanga Pachadi | Winter Melon Pachadi | Ash Gourd Pachadi | Kerala Onam Sadhya Recipes


How are you beating the heat this year? This year (as I might have kept mentioning in my earlier posts as well ;)) it is slightly overwhelming for me. I am doing all that I can to keep hydrated as much as possible. While summer is fun with all the fruits and popsicles and cold treats and ice creams, it is also very difficult to have as well as cook a full fledged course. All you can think of is to eat watermelons and gulp down glasses of spiced buttermilk. But one has to eat as well right :D So I make many sorts of pachadi as well as it is light and also cold and very easy to make. Doesn't make life difficult in kitchen. You must have understood that by now, coz just last week I posted Vazhaithandu pachadi :D So this pachadi too fits the bill.. It is cold and refreshing with a stir fry and some matta rice :) Isn't it ! So let's see how to make this easy pachadi.

My other pachadi recipes are..

Cooking Time : 30 minutes


Serves : 3-4 persons


I Used:


Kumbalanga/Winter Melon/Ash gourd - A heaped ¾ cup
Green Chilly - 2 nos - slit
Water - ½ cup
Salt - As Needed

To Grind:
Grated Coconut - A heaped ¼ cup
Mustard
Curd
-
-
½ tsp
1 cup

To Temper:
Coconut Oil - 2 tbsp
Mustard  - ½ tsp
Red Chilly - 2 nos
Curry leaves - 2 sprigs

The Way:


1. In a saucepan take the cubed kumbalanga (winter melon/ash gourd), slit green chilly & salt along with ½ cup water & cook them over medium flame


2. Meanwhile grind together grated coconut and mustard. When they are ground well add curd & give another pulse or two so that the curd is mixed well

3. When the kumbalanga is cooked well, check if there is too much water. If then keep only about 1/4 cup and discard the rest. If there is too much water, the pachadi will turn too runny

4. Now add the ground coconut mixture & stir well.  Make sure the flame is very low & it does not boil. This may take about a minute or two. Once mixed well, remove from flame. Do not allow it to boil much, else the curd will curdle


5. Heat oil in another pan. Splutter the mustard seeds. Add red chilly & curry leaves & saute. Take care that they are not burnt. Add this tempering to the pachadi & give a stir & serve


Notes:

  • Can add ½ tsp cumin seeds and/or a ½ inch piece ginger also while grinding. Since my family does not prefer them I do not add
Cheers,
Chitz

2 comments:

  1. Love winter melon! My mom uses it to make soup or stirfry all the time. How do you call this...a soup, or a curry?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by !! I am really happy that you take time to let me know how you feel :-)